Wednesday, March 18, 2009

beans and greens

I have had many requests for my beans and greens recipe. So here it is!

Saute 3 cloves of garlic in 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet or wok
Add 1 small diced onion and cook for a few minutes (I didn't have an onion, so I just used chives, I've also used Leeks or scallions in the past as well)

Add around 8-10 cups of fresh cut greens (1 to 1.5 lbs). I use a mix of what ever the community farm gives us that week such as collards, kale, beet, & mustard. I've also used the bag of mixed greens from Trader Joe's along with a bag of baby spinach. Its amazing how much the greens shrink when you cook them!

Reduce the greens down over medium heat and let cook for about 10 minutes while occasionally stirring them

Add 2 cups of broth (either vegetable or chicken)
Add 1 can of diced stewed tomatoes
Add 1 can of kidney beans

Add fresh chopped parsley and ground pepper to taste

Simmer covered for 35 to 40 minutes until the greens are soft

Serve over Rice

Let me know if you give it a try!

1 comment:

Jack Nork said...

Added grated carrots to this last batch. Very yummy