Saturday, January 24, 2009

Testing Streaming MP3 Players

Evan had some problems using flash mp3 player on his blog superread.blogspot.com so I wanted to run some tests to see if I can find a player that works for everybody. My brother Michael pointed me to this site with instructions on embedding MP3 players on your page. Give each of these a try and post your results in the comments. All songs I used for the test are written and produced by Evan Nork:

Google Reader MP3 Player (Song Title - "Evolve"):



Yahoo! MP3 Player (Song Title - "Instrumental"):




Odeo MP3 Player(Song Title - "Life"):




Well, my initial tests are:

1. Google Player: On the first round had to refresh the page to get the Google player to work, not sure why... I would like this one best if it works consistently. This is the only one with a volume control

2. Yahoo Player: Takes quite a while to load, does not show up right away when the pages loads. No volume control

3. Odeo: Seems to work, but this is the player that DIDN'T work on several other people's computers when Evan used it on his blog

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Running OS X 10.5.6 with FireFox 3.0.5. I'm running over cable and speakeasy.net is showing me at 4006 kbps down. All three loaded immediately and started playing immediately.

Anonymous said...

Windows 7 beta, IE 8 beta, cable down 6013 kbps. Immediately loaded, immediately plays.

Just thinking ahead.... :)

Anonymous said...

Google Reader wasn't visible. Instead I saw a small icon that I couldn't make out. I think the point was that the player just wasn't there.

Yahoo MP3 player was visible but after 5 attempts seemed to only load without playing.

Odeo appeared but didn't play after 5 successful attempts.

Test conditions: I tested using my HP laptop connected to wifi. Streaming music and video is usually not a problem though. System: Microsoft Windows XP Prof, version 2002, SP2. Browser: IE 6.0

Anonymous said...

All three worked for me on a Windows XP machine using Firefox 3.05

When I tried it in IE, the only one that showed up on load was the Yahoo one. I was prompted to upgrade my Quicktime. When I clicked he continue it opened the Quicktime page in my Firefox (default) browser and then the third one was visible. Yahoo and the Odeo never loaded after the fact.

I think the lesson here is why use IE when you have Firefox.

Hope this helps.