Friday, August 12, 2005

Automated Pinging Service

OK, so you write all these cool blog posts, but how do you promote them? Well one way is to use a pinging service.

There are many weblog sites which keep track of updates for thousands or hundred thousands of weblogs. To announce your weblog updates to these sites you have to ping them. This technique is described here.

Simply put, a ping is only saying to weblog sites: "hey, I have something new for you". After such a ping weblog sites will visit your website and index new content. So, pinging or registering your weblog in as many sites as possible is a very good solution to get more visitors.

I've been using www.pingomatic.com to ping the major weblog index sites such as Technorati and Feedster Well, I found another ping service called Pings.ws that will allow you to add code to your blog template so that it will ping the service automatically.

I'm not sure how to test if it works or now, nor am I sure how they prevent multiple pings in a row, but I am testing it out on my blog and I'll keep an eye to see who comes to visit.

Has anyone else found an easy way to automate blog pings? Let me know.

No comments: