Wednesday, August 17, 2005

How To Protect Your Computer

Invariably, the most common question I get goes something like this:

"Jack, I just got a new laptop, and I've been hearing all kinds of things about virus' and spyware. What do you recommend to protect my PC from being infected?"

Well, here is the answer:

1. You need to install an Antivirus program. I recommend AVG Antivirus from GRISoft. It's quick, its small, it updates itself automatically and best of all its FREE! Download it here.

2. You need to install a personal firewall. There are a number of them out there, but the one I recommend is ZoneAlarm from ZoneLabs. It monitors and blocks malicious traffic both trying to get into your computer as well as programs trying to connect to the internet without your consent or knowledge. Download it here.

3. You need to install a Antispyware program. I used to recommend installing AdAware and Spybot to work in combination with each other. (This is still the best free antispyware for windows 98). But lately I have been recommending either installing Sunbelt Software's CounterSpy ($19.95) OR installing Microsoft's AntiSpyware Beta for FREE.

4. You need to regularly install the latest Windows Updates. I recommend setting XP to automatically download the updates for you. You can get the instructions on how to do that here.

No comments: